Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Welcoming Summer and Some Well Deserved Time Off

Reflecting on the spring season, I can't seem to remember a weekend in which Michael and I took a day to fully enjoy ourselves beginning to end. With the looming thoughts of my comprehensive exams out of my mind, Saturday marked the first day in which I truly felt at peace. Well, I guess I should clarify that this feeling began AFTER 10:00 on Saturday - once I had completed the Massachusetts Educators test. Michael and I decided to take advantage of being in the city on such a beautiful day. Without any clear plan we headed to the Fanuiel Hall area to grab a parking spot and begin our adventure.



Not being able to EVER pass up grocery deals, I convinced Michael that it would be great fun to spend our day at Haymarket and to stock up on fresh fruits and veggies. Being the bread-winner of our relationship, once he saw the deals he too had to agree.



With arms full of strawberries, rasberries, cherries, plums, watermelon, asparagus, and peppers we realized that our day in Boston would have to be cut short due to a lack of a cooler. Luckily, I am dating an engineer. And MAYBE you wouldn't have to be an engineer to come up with a plan like this; but, he's always thinking, that Michael. We grabbed a box, bought some ice, and set up a makeshift cooler in the back of the del-sol. This gave us time to take some of our fresh purchases down to the water and bask in the feeling of not having any pressing commitments.



Later in the afternoon, we left the city, stopped by home for a quick change, bottle of wine, and cheese and crackers, and headed up to Cranes Beach in Ipswich. It was close to 4:00 when we arrived, and the beach was STILL insanely crowded! We jammed ourselves in between an extra-large family of 3 and a group of people that had the most god-awful Boston-ish accents. It didn't matter though. Michael was asleep in minutes, and I ecstatic to be reading something other than class notes and text books. The beach began to empty and Michael and I shared the bottle of wine over some quality people watching. Before we realized it, it was 8:30 and time to head home to figure out something for dinner.



Sunday morning began with a special treat, complimented by our Haymarket purchases, and marked the beginning of another enjoyable weekend day.



Now, I'm off to finish cleaning the house top to bottom. An unexpected day off without having to tend to school-related work - priceless. Please check in later when Michael posts an update about the puppy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment